How to get rid of a date: Make them laugh


I once thought my life was semi-ruined when my good friend broke it to me: "There's no such thing as love, there's only evolution." I bit my lip, as I had hoped her sentence would end with the word "pizza." At first I was slightly relieved, because you know evolution is evolution and if a man doesn't like you due to your narrow hips, it's really not your fault.

However, almost every day is the day when I lose a bit of faith in humanity and yesterday was no exception. Apparently some fancy scientists in some fancy university have discovered that men are turned off by women, who can make them laugh. Rather, men prefer a woman who looks pretty and laughs at their jokes. Not to worry, this is not an unshaved feminist post instigating hatred towards men, this is just me sharing my disappointment in evolution once again and bringing you the news you probably wouldn't have come across. 

Although evolution has left several things unexplained, such as the narrow-headed soft shell tortoise, human consciousness and blobfish (seriously, what is this unearthly creature?), it seems to have an answer to numerous phenomena. So what's the deal with unattractive funny girls? Well, as many theorists have argued, women are more selective of their significant others than men. That is, for a simple reason though - women invest more time and effort in parenting, so inevitably they cannot make a deliberate choice of choosing the father to be a lad with poor Primark DNA - you know easily attainable, but seriously lacks of quality. As humour is considered to be an indication of intelligence, linguistic capacity, creativity is generally a sign of functioning brain, women regard humour as a sexually attractive trait in a man (I can relate to that).

Oscar Wilde has said: "Nothing spoils a romance so much as a sense of humour in the woman." Maybe that's the reason why men are not into humorous women. It is simply seen as a male thing likewise poop jokes or one-word texts. Comedy industry is dominated by men all the way and, in fact, merely two women have won the Perrier Award within the past 25 years. Does this really mean that men are blessed with a sense of humour by evolution and does a funny bone really make a girl more masculine and unattractive to men? This could, however, explain Ellen Degeneres and myself, for instance.

But then again, which man would like to spend the rest of his life with someone who doesn't laugh at his jokes, maybe rolls her eyes if anything. The kind of woman who thinks she's too cool for you. It's more than natural that a healthy lifelong relationship should be built on mutual respect and why not mutual laughter. For my personal contribution I have conducted an interview (n=2), which contained of two questions: 1) How important is a woman's ability to make you laugh? and 2) What? My lovely fellows contradicted the study, as one of them said that a funny bone is a must-have, while the other one admitted that he definitely wants to be surrounded by people who genuinely appreciate his sense of humour, which supports my aforementioned idea.

The other strong opinion I received (god, what an extensive research, I did), was that maybe these are the guys whose ego is fragile as an egg shell. You know, the same kind of guys who unmatches you on Tinder when you don't reply to them or bullies another, much weaker male.  Apparently more than half of the men in aforementioned fancy study, said that witty woman is not what they are looking for in a life partner. Guess this explains why the production of humour is not as highly regarded, the slightest indication of wit seems threatening.

So, to wrap it up. I'm team Tina, Ellen, Amy all the way even if it means some missed dates. After all, what on Earth would I benefit from a guy who can't appreciate my humour and feels the need to always be better. Confidence is the main thing women look for in a man. And a confident man should not feel threatened by a self-assured humorous woman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews