6 accomplishments to be proud of


Being a confused graduate, I attended a career workshop the other day. As a good old icebreaker, we had to say our names, what we study, what's the one thing we're most proud of and what's the one most surprising thing about ourselves. By the way, one of the guys who attended the workshop said: "The surprising thing about me... I don't have a girlfriend." Well, I'm certainly glad you laid that on the table, buddy! The question, however, that people struggled to answer was: What are you proud of? It got me thinking, is it really that hard to find the qualities in ourselves that we're genuinely proud of or are we merely too modest to admit them? I don't know if it's only me, but I am proud of numerous things that I find other people should acknowledge in themselves.

1. When you did something you were afraid to do
I think courage is probably one of the most commendable quality a person can have. Too many people live their whole lives in their comfort zone barely stepping out. Comfort zone kind of reminds me of a bed - it's nice and warm and cosy and it's hard to get out. But once you pull yourself together and get out, there's so much to do and see. This world is huge - there are seven continents, five oceans and over two hundred countries on this Earth. How on Earth (pun intended) would you see and learn about it all if you didn't do what you're afraid to do. I love the idea of using your fears to make yourself stronger. I was scared to move to London and damn I was frantic about going to China without knowing a single world in Chinese, but here I am, alive and so thankful that I didn't chicken out. 

2. When your hard work paid off
Often sitting in library, reading about capitalism or the rise of creative class I find myself listing things I'd rather do on that warm sunny spring day (watching House of Cards and petting lion cubs as the most prominent). Sometimes I feel like I throwing all my books in the bin, getting on a plane and moving to Iceland in a volcano, nice and warm. Basically I'd do everything other than leafing through those old dusty books. Yet, once my effort pays off and I'm blessed with the best grade I could have I dwell in pride. Why even bother doing something when you don't give it your all?

3. When you manage to be happy for someone who has hurt you
Some of my friends reading this probably know whom and what I'm talking about. So briefly: there was somebody whom I thought would make me happy. Instead, they found happiness in someone from their past. I personally don't believe in reading the same book twice, it usually ends the same, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, having heard the big news I literally lost my appetite (not to worry, only for three minutes), I was sick to my stomach, that's how much it hurt. Yeah I was furious and hurt for an hour or so, but then I made the best decision I could make and went out for a run. While sweating and looking like a 14 year old boy in my trainers and sports bra I came to think of it: maybe he found a happy ending to his story. The happy ever after. I realised it would be better for both of us if I just stayed magnanimous and gracefully let go of something that wasn't meant for me. So if you manage to feel happy for someone who maybe doesn't deserve your blessing then congratulations you grew as a person! You maintained your grace, class and generosity. After all, not every person who breaks your heart is a douchebag and at the end of the day what's important is to be a good and forgiving person.

4. When you really wanted to buy something, but you didn't
Because you probably didn't need it anyway. I've actually started tackling my bourgeois attitude and funnily enough, I don't enjoy spending money anymore. Yes, I do love nice shoes and dresses and lipsticks, but will I love them as much? Well, that and the high cost of living in London have made me slightly more sensible with money. I'm no longer penniless at the end of the month and I suggest everybody to think twice if they intend buying something: Do you want it or do you need it? Will it actually make you happier? There's too many philistines in this world, try not to get lost in the grey mass.

5. When you felt like giving in or giving up, but you didn't
I can relate to that. It's the relationship between me and food. I heard someone saying that they'd prefer to live without food if they could. "Without food?" I thought, "you mean no pizza, no mangos, no curry?" and I died a little inside. Well, every time I try to get on the health wagon, there's just too many temptations, but once I've maintained my persistence an calm and actually made healthy choices I'm proud as hell. I can't remember the exact quote, but I think it was Voltaire who said something like master your mind and you control your whole life. It's fascinating, yet scary to think that you are your own biggest competitor, who sabotages the right choices, but once you defeat yourself and come to terms you're stronger than ever.

6. When you did a simple good deed, that you normally wouldn't have done
Every now and then when I notice some sad soul walking in the rain without an umbrella I've had the urge to walk over to them and ask them to walk with me. I mean it sounds pretty romantic: two strangers walking in the rain etc. Sadly, I've never done it before, you know they might think I'm a weirdo or just someone who lacks of intimacy and feels the need to invade other people's private space. But then again, I'd be endlessly thankful if someone offered me shade from rain especially if I had straightened my hair that day. So what's the worst than can happen, someone refuses your help, it's their loss not yours, right?

There are thousands of occasions to be proud of ourselves, these six are merely a tiny bit of them. So, don't be afraid to be proud of your past and even the negative things that happened, these are what made you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews